After completing Medical School Rotterdam, he received his general surgical training in Nijmegen, followed bij a pediatric surgical training, also in Nijmegen. Marc Wijnen was a general pediatric surgeon in Nijmegen from 2000-2014 and in Amsterdam from 2010-2015. Since 2014, he has been a Pediatric Surgical Oncologist at the Princess Máxima Center.
Improvement of local control while minimizing surgical trauma at the same time. Thus preventing short term and long term sequellae while maintaining local control of the tumor.
This requires a meticulous registration of surgical complications and risk factors in international collaborative networks to find out where less surgery may be applied and where more surgery is necessary.
Collaboration with imaging specialists is needed to improve pre-operative planning and pre-operative identification of tumor tissue.
- Is complete surgical resection of stage 4 neuroblastoma a prerequisite for optimal survival or may >95 % tumour resection suffice? Zwaveling S, Tytgat GA, van der Zee DC, Wijnen MH, Heij HA.Pediatr Surg Int. 2012 Oct;28(10):953-9.
- Diagnosis and treatment of lymph node metastases in pediatric rhabdomyosarcoma in the Netherlands: a retrospective analysis. Terwisscha van Scheltinga CE, Spronk P, van Rosmalen J, Wijnen MH, Heij HA, van Baren R, Merks JH, van Noesel MM, Wijnen RM.J Pediatr Surg. 2014 Mar;49(3):416-9.
- Quality of life in adulthood after resection of a sacrococcygeal teratoma in childhood: a Dutch multicentre study. Kremer ME, Dirix M, Koeneman MM, van Baren R, Heij HA, Wijnen MH, Wijnen RM, van der Zee DC, van Heurn LW. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2015 May;100(3):F229-32. doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2014-307589.
- Diagnosis and treatment of adnexal masses in children and adolescents. Hermans AJ, Kluivers KB, Wijnen MH, Bulten J, Massuger LF, Coppus SF. Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Mar;125(3):611-5.
- Quality Measurement in Neonatal Surgical Disorders: Development of Clinical Indicators. van Heurn E, de Blaauw I, Heij H, Wijnen M, Wijnen R, Hulscher J, van der Zee D.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2015 Dec;25(6):526-31.
- M. Wijnen, pediatric surgeon
- S. Terwisscha van Scheltinga, pediatric surgeon
- C. van der Ven, pediatric surgeon
- M. Jans, PhD student
- L. Wellens, PhD student